The Board of Directors of Powderhorn HOA, in partnership with a seasonal sponsor, is pleased to announce the creation of the Yard of the Month award program to show their appreciation and to recognize those homeowners who demonstrate superior effort in maintaining their property and who, as a result, positively contribute to the overall appearance of Powderhorn.
Yard of the Month candidates will be judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property and front yard as viewed from the street. General upkeep of the yard and property is paramount.
- The program will be managed by the Landscape Director who will oversee the program and seek sponsorship from local business partners.
- All Powderhorn properties are automatically eligible by default.
- Award winners are selected based on the judging criteria, factors, and guidelines listed on this document.
- The upkeep of the yard can reflect the efforts of the residents themselves or that of a professional
landscaper or groundskeeper.
- An award duration term is approximately a single calendar month and runs until the following month winner has been notified. Durations may vary due to judging schedules and holidays.
- Winners will be selected for the months of June through August. The Board may elect to extend or shorten the Yard of the Month season depending on sponsorship and participation.
- The same property cannot receive more than one award in the same rolling twelve-month calendar period. At least 12 months must elapse between awards for the same yard.
- No more than one Yard of the Month recipient will be selected in a single month.
- Yard of the Month winners must be current with their Association dues and not in violation of any HOA covenants or city regulations.
- While an individual’s home is being recognized as a Powderhorn “Yard of the Month,” they are expected to maintain their yard in the same manner that allowed them to win the title.
- Winners must be willing to have photos of their yard taken and published on the HOA website and any other publications the Association deems.
General Judging Factors
Factors include the overall appearance, tidiness, and neatness of the front of the property as evidenced by
pruned, trimmed and shaped foliage, edged and defined lawns, borders & flower beds, and a visually appealing
facade. Judge(s) will utilize the following factors when selecting Yard of the Month candidates:
- Yard Maintenance
- Healthy lawn, neatly mowed and edged
- Pruned and trimmed shrubs and trees
- Healthy, living plants (native/ xeriscaping)
- Minimum weeds in flower beds
- Yard free of debris and clutter
- Driveway clean and neat in appearance
- Buildings, fences, porches, and patios on the property are in good repair
- House numbers are displayed attractively
- Design and Landscaping
- Use of color and texture
- Creative, unique curb appeal
- Balance appropriate to house and lot size
- Overall aesthetic appeal
- Pleasing appearance making the property an asset to the community
All award winners receive an official “Yard of the Month” lawn-sign, to be placed on their property for the duration of their award as well as a gift card. Winners will receive a write-up on the HOA website as well as any other publications the Association deems.
The Powderhorn HOA congratulates all “Yard of the Month” award selections and encourages all neighbors to
join the efforts of these homeowner’s in keeping their yards and homes beautiful.
All residents of the Powderhorn neighborhood are eligible to nominate a resident for Yard of the Month. The
Yard of the Month Committee Chair (Landscape Director) will serve as a Judge or will designate the Volunteer
Judge(s) a month(s) for which they will select a winner from those nominated by the residents.
- Judge(s) will utilize the Criteria, Factors and Guidelines within in this document to select Yard of the Month candidates.
- The Chair (Landscape Director) will communicate with the Board to ascertain whether any of the candidates are delinquent in their Association dues or are in violation of any covenants or regulations.
- Judge(s) will advise the Yard of the Month Committee Chair of their selection prior to notifying the homeowner/resident. Judges’ decisions are final following review by the Chair for eligibility.
- Resident Nominators will provide the Yard of the Month Committee Chair with the following:
- Names of the residents of the property.
- Two to four photographs of the yard suitable for publication.
- A short narrative describing the yard and what makes it deserving of the Yard of the Month award.
- Only Powderhorn homes are eligible to be nominated.
- If nominating a neighbor or self-nominating, submit nominations to email@example.com
- Photos may be submitted between the 28th of the current month until the 4th of the next month.
- Voting will begin on the 5th of the current month until the 10th of the next month.
- Winner will be announced in person by Landscape Director as well as on the Yard of the Month webpage.